This painting by Ross Bleckner was the most interesting and eye-catching piece of artwork that I show in the museum. At first glance the painting caught my attention and I was immediately drawn to it. As I got closer I was able to see that the painting had a certain texture that was created by the use of oil and wax. This painting was mesmerizing and in a way had a calming feel for me. Also the painting consisted of yellowish-green circles under the dominance of the black, which I took as the light trying to get out of the darkness. I think the composition used in this painting is the golden mean.
The next painting that I gravitated towards was Henri Matisse's Festival of Flowers because of the warm colors and details. From afar the painting almost looked sloppy or just like dabs of color, but as I got closer I was able to see the detail Matisse put into it from the flowers, the trees, the two women, the cars and the building in the background. The detail was delicate in a relaxed way. In this painting I found a golden triangle with the base being where the women are standing to the point being at the largest tree.
This oil painting by Henri Matisse's daughter, Marguerite Matisse, Nice, is very simply, but lovely. After just observing Henri's painting I assumed this was one of his paintings also because of the similarity in technique and use of oil. I really liked the different shades of blue used in order to depict the ocean and even give it a sense of movement. This technique was also used for the sky. I liked this painting because it gave me a tropical sense and the leading lines of the composition makes your eyes move around the painting. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Objects

Postmodern Visual Analysis

Maroger Studio