The Whole Ball of Wax

Jerry Saltz’s article “The Whole Ball of Wax” was intriguing and fascinating to read. Ever since I was younger I never fully understood the concept of “art” or how I was supposed to interpret what I was looking at. After reading Saltz’s article I realized my thoughts about art when I was younger were ignorant and naïve. Art is everywhere around us and can “change the world incrementally and by osmosis,” which creates unconscious assimilation of different meanings and knowledge. It is interesting to think that every piece of art ever created produces a number of different emotions, thoughts, feelings, and experiences for each individual that views it.

Another point Saltz made in his article that I agree with is that “art is a bridge to a new vision and the vision itself.” In a way art can function as a translator and connects multiple ideas and feelings to a single piece of art. It becomes a “bridge” to expressing ones’ self and also a universal language whose expression is continuously changing. Additionally, I think that a new vision is often created for a specific piece of art with an old vision or experience in the viewer’s mind.


In the end I would say yes to Saltz’s initial question, “can art change the world?” Art is a way for people to connect to their own bodies and minds, but also with others around them that can eventually lead to opinions, engagements, and possibly action to make a difference. There are so many different forms of art that people experience everyday such as painting, drawing, writing, dancing, singing, cooking, etc. and I believe that these are the most powerful tools we have to engage with one another and make changes within our society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Objects

Postmodern Visual Analysis

Maroger Studio